Will Amazon provide customers with a free streaming service?
The Wall Street Journal published a report relying on anonymous sources “close to the company” that claimed Amazon was about to launch the service. Its March 27 story was headlined, “Amazon Plans free Streaming Media Service.”
“An Amazon spokeswoman didn’t respond to requests to comment,” the Journal‘s story added.
However, soon after the Journal‘s story came out, Amazon stated that the Wall Street Journal claim was false. CNN Money quoted an Amazon spokesperson saying, “we have no plans to offer a free media streaming service.”
Following that report, the Wall Street Journal updated its story to include the Amazon denial and posted a correction. The correction reads:
“This article has been updated to reflect that Amazon has now denied that it is planning the service as described. Prior to publication, the company did not respond to requests for comment. The update also clarifies that the article is based on Amazon’s outline of an advertising-supported service in talks with potential partners.”
iMediaEthics has written to Amazon for comment.
Rest of Media Updates story
Numerous news outlets reported on the Wall Street Journal‘s original claims about a free streaming service.
- USA Today’s headline read: “Could Amazon make streaming services available for free?” It now carries an update reporting Amazon’s denial.
- TIME magazine reported “Amazon Free Streaming Media Service Likely to Launch Soon” In a follow-up story, TIME rowed back its reporting and reported on Amazon’s denial.
- Mashable’s story was headlined, “Amazon Exploring Free Streaming Content Service, Report Says.” It now carries an update on Amazon’s denial.
- Similarly, the Hollywood Reporter‘s story, “Amazon to Launch Free Streaming Service (Report)” also carries an update reporting Amazon’s denial.
- Engadget slapped a new headline on its story about the Journal’s report. New headline? “Amazon will reportedly launch a free video streaming service (update: Amazon says no)”
- And the Washington Post headlined its story “Why Amazon is really launching a free streaming video service.” But in an update, the Post reported on Amazon’s statement denying the Journal‘s reporting.
Hat Tip: Matthew Keys