Pit bull molest attacks rape 2 year toddler - Buffalo NYC media outlets report disturbing story 2 two year old pitbull pit bull Bear raping a 2 two year old child child protection agency SPCA analysis.
BIG STORIES :
News Corp. | Phone Hacking Scandal | WikiLeaks | Barack Obama | Julian Assange | 2012 U.S. Election | Religion | See All
iMEDIAETHICS.org
Seperator

Tips Facebook Twitter Twitter Twitter RSS Feeds

Home | | Contact Us

US Media Ethics News :
Special Investigation : Pitbull Rapist
Comments (93)
Print Tweet Email

Pit Bull "Molested And Attacked" Toddler?

Reports of an unusual dog attack in Buffalo starting to lose credibility.
By: Adam Klasfeld
July 13, 2007 12:00 AM EST

Pit Bull Molested And Attacked Toddler?

Buffalo area media outlets reported the “bizarre and disturbing” story of a pit bull raping a two-year-old. StinkyJournalism.org finds two misquoted experts crying foul; hospital saying child protection agency is involved; an SPCA Executive Director reveals that mother has “relocated” and gives StinkyJournalism advance notice of results of dog's official behavioral analysis.

The voice on Buffalo, New York's WBEN news radio broadcast promised “bizarre and disturbing” news about “an attack on a small boy by a pit bull.” That wasn’t the unusual part. Scare stories about pit bull attacks appear in news coverage almost as regularly as weather forecasts.

What made this one so strange, though, was the mother’s claim that the dog allegedly anally raped her two-year-old son.

The toddler is in guarded condition in Buffalo's Women's & Children's Hospital after undergoing reconstructive surgery.  The dog is locked up in the Niagara County SPCA, and the mother’s demanding that it be euthanized as soon as possible.

SPECIAL REPORT

Pit Bull "Molested And Attacked" Toddler?: Part I
[RELATED]
In an interview with Detective Larry Eggert of the Lockport Police Department, the WBEN news anchors tried to treat the matter with a sense of propriety. “This is a very delicate question,” the anchorman said. “I’ll try to approach it as sensitively as I can, but did you check with a veterinarian? Are animals ever sexually attracted to human beings?” The detective answered that the department had to search outside New York State to find an animal behaviorist who, apparently, has investigated “five” such cases.

Strangely, the anchors did not reveal what this expert discovered, or ask about the credentials of the person.

Even if all five of those cases turned out to be actual rapes of small children by dogs, and there’s no evidence that is the case, the outlets presented the story without skepticism.

Only one local paper vowed to dig deeper.  The expert evaluation of the dog's behavior was going to be released on Saturday, June 14 in the The Lockport Union-Sun & Journal, but StinkyJournalism already discovered the results during a conversation with Niagara County SPCA's executive director, Albert Chille.

"They can't believe that it actually occurred," says Chille.

“This Story Does Not Add Up.”

A WIVB news report claimed that the President of the Niagara Frontier Veterinary Society corroborated the story. According to the article, an unnamed expert stated that the parents may have missed warning signs, and that a two-year-old dog reaching “sexual maturity” should not be left alone with a small child.

Her words, however, were taken completely out of context. Stephanie Wolf, the misrepresented leader of NFVS, explained that a two-year-old dog can display aggression when reaching sexual maturity. “Aggression,” she told us in an exclusive interview, "[means] biting, not raping.” She never intended to suggest that parents need to fear potential rape by their family pet.

“Just coming from the standpoint of having worked with dogs that are breeding, [getting young dogs to mate] is not an easy thing,” said a frustrated Wolf. “For a dog to have done this in a fraction of a moment, sounds to me a little strange. This story does not add up.”

There goes one expert.

WIVB also made it appear that Albert Chille, the executive director of the Niagara County SPCA, verified the credibility of the story, when in fact he contradicted it. In a news story titled “Bizarre and Disturbing Dog Attack,” they quoted Chille as saying, “My understanding is the child had no bites on him at all … I guess the message is be respectful of a dog, until you absolutely know the animal” (ellipsis original).

One wonders what part of the interview was stricken where the ellipsis now stand. In my interview with Chille for further comment, he noted that the lack of bite marks on the boy was another reason to disbelieve the mother’s story. While Chille mentioned that it was not his role to speculate to the press, he had plenty to say to us about his skepticism.

For example, Chille said in 27 years at the SPCA he has never heard of a dog raping a child, and neither had any of his colleagues.

“Not to get crude about it,” he says to me as a disclaimer, explaining that a male dog attaches his claws to the sides of the female dog while mating. “It just seems to me that there would be something on the child.”

He was also disturbed by how adamant the mother was about wanting the dog (“Bear”) put down before the investigation was over and assured me that would not happen so long as he’s guarding the pooch. On Thursday, he says he received 30 emails, “most of them saying they want to adopt [the dog], none of whom blamed the dog and felt sorry for the boy. … I am toying with the idea of going to a rescue group with it.”

Most telling, perhaps, was Chille's revelation that the mother of the injured boy is no longer reachable at her residence. “Now, [the mother] has relocated. One of the agents went to her house, and the door was shut. The neighbors said she will not be coming back.” Her flight is not proof of culpability or involvement as an accessory, but Chille said it raised his eyebrows.

Niagara County’s District Attorney Matthew J. Murphy III refused to confirm this information, as it was “an ongoing investigation.” When we asked if child protective services were involved, he repeated the answer and hung up the phone.

(StinkyJournalism.org called WIVB for comment, but the news director has not yet replied.)

An Alternative Hypothesis and a Question That Needs Asking

The dog seems to be in safe hands now. What about the boy?

The Women’s & Children’s Hospital has been told by the mother not to release information about the medical condition of the child. However, we asked the public information spokesman John Moscato if the hospital was shielding him, and whether they'd reported suspected abuse to child protective services.

“Child protective services and all of the appropriate authorities have been notified in this case,” he stated. It’s difficult to believe that they would be taking such measures if they were certain that the jailed dog was the culprit.

Surprisingly, no press reports that we've been able to find have investigated alternative scenarios with human perpetrators. Were “bizarre and disturbing” headlines more appealing?

Assuming the mother’s story is wrong, and it's becoming less credible by the moment, there is a more obvious hypothesis: this was a human crime.

It's unclear whether the story was reported the way it was out of a misplaced sense of propriety, or lurid sensationalism. Evidence, however, indicates that the press has lent credibility to the preposterous alibi of a child rapist, leaving a two-year-old in continued danger of molestation while sending an innocent pit bull to be put to sleep.

Fortunately, the director of the Niagara County SPCA and the Women & Children's Hospital are not just going with the assumption that the dog did it.

Additional Reporting by: Rhonda Roland Shearer and Jeremy Miller

Line
Print   Print
Line
Twitter   Tweet
Report an Error Report an Error
Email   E-mail
Link Send a Tip

1  2  3   >   >>
Anyone who remotely thinks this is possible must not be dealing with a full deck.
Comment by Coby Carwile | Nov 20, 2013 at 02:26 PM EST

R u kidding me!! I've never heard of this ever and I've been around animals all my life !! I hope who ever did this gets what coming to them it's sad to see someone blame a dog for something g so horrible !! Poor dog poor kid ..this world is full of sick people and just because that dog has no voice to talk for itself they go and blame him!! It doesn't even make since !! Sad sad sad!!!!
Comment by Alivia | Nov 20, 2013 at 12:36 PM EST

All I can say is "Yeah right lady." This is neglect, through and through. Pibbles on the whole are generally very protective of children (my rescue pit LOVES little kids, she'll let them yank on her ears and lay on her and poke at her and she just loves the attention) and I REALLY don't think this dog raped the child. Were there claw marks? And if he HAD actually somehow penetrated the child, pit bulls "tie" just like all other dogs when they mate. They would've been found stuck together. I hope she goes to jail, and I hope that pittie finds a loving forever home.
Comment by Molly | Feb 16, 2012 at 02:39 PM EST

BTW the reporting (facts, source etc.) in this story is very good...the subject and reason for the story stink to high heaven. So the reporter gets 2 doz. roses. The sad need for this common since, first steps approach, based on truthful, factual evidence and events.Is just so disappointing. To have to re-interview, and report with clarity, a experts opinion is appalling. It doesn't take a very smart person to question such a obvious and utterly ridiculous fabrication. What a sicking shame that it was perpetuated by numbers seeking mudslinging, headline grabbing, vampires who claim to be "reporters" and "news media".

Comment by Renda Luvaas | Sep 17, 2011 at 10:01 AM EST

Hi Renda, Thanks for your comments. We have continued investigating this case and plan to have an updated report in the coming months. Thank you for reading! Sydney

Comment by Sydney Smith, StinkyJournalism.org | Sep 23, 2011 at 12:29 PM EST

What ever happened to the dog? the child? the woman? Was this media hype story ever corrected by the reporting papers?

Comment by Renda Luvaas | Sep 17, 2011 at 09:23 AM EST

I was browsing the web when I found this ridiculous story. I just can not believe the lengths that people will go to extinguish this breed of dog. First off, this woman has been in trouble with child protective services at least twice before this happened. Once for her filthy child running around in the streets for at least an hour. The police arrived and did find the child in the road, wearing a soiled diaper. Secondly, she has been in trouble for nasty living conditions. Now all of a sudden a "pit bull" raped her baby. Truth be known, she left her children in the care of someone she didnt know and when she returned, she found her baby badly injured. She didnt wanna go to jail for her "neglect" so a glamorous story was concocted by her and probably the guy that did it to her baby. It is extremely unlikely that this occured by a dog. I do not see a 2 year baby standing still long enough for that to happen. It has to be a hoax as there have not been any followups whatsoever to this ridiculous story. People should not believe a word of it. Although I found the story on a Pro-BSL website, whose agenda is to destroy all "Pit Bull Type" dogs. This is a new low, even for them...

Comment by Christy T | Jun 16, 2011 at 09:33 PM EST

OMG...........how far will people go to make money????

Comment by Kirsty Stuart-Clarke | Jun 11, 2011 at 10:28 PM EST

This lady is out of her mind! How is it that this dog undressed the child and maneuvered and maintained the child in such a position to successfully accomplish this act? She's trying to blame an animal for a wrongdoing so she isn't looked at badly for giving this dog to a shelter because she doesn't want the responsibility anymore! Shame on her!! What a horrid pet owner!!!

Comment by Sonny | Jun 11, 2011 at 08:55 PM EST

I seriously doubt that the dog did this. This is absolutely ludicrous and the mother needs to be thoroughly investigated and that child needs to be removed from the home.

Comment by Beth | Apr 24, 2011 at 05:12 PM EST

... I think the mother needs some psychological help, theres no way a dog can actually 'rape' somebody. Humping is different, in a dog's perspective, I don't think it's possible for a dog to just go over and put their genital in the kids rear and start going off. I think this was just some sick, epic fail excuse to have the dog killed that was obviously not needed in the household, or at least by the mom in a sense.

Comment by Bree | Jun 8, 2010 at 08:32 AM EST

Anyone who is saying that pit bulls become aggressive or whatever during sexual maturity need a slap in the face and to really get to know pit-bulls like i do. I used to breed this wonderful dog nad have them around toddlers while i was in another room or area of the house. My 2 year pit-bull was very aggressive over small children if you were a stranger in his house. THESE DOGS ARE TRAINED TO KILL BY STUPID PEOPLE ITS NOT THE DOGS FAULT STOP TRYING TO BLAME THEM ALL THE TIME --TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY. HUMANS MAKE MISTAKES OWN UP TO IT. THIS ONE JUST SADLY HAD YOUNG CHILD MIXED IN AND I HOPE HE MAKES A FULL RECOVERY.

Comment by miss H | Apr 13, 2010 at 12:30 PM EST

You breed animals yet are ignorant enough to not acknowledge that all animals have their own personality and that one being aggressive is not only possible but probable? astonishing.

Comment by Will | May 22, 2010 at 04:25 PM EST

Do I believe the child was raped? Yes.I mean no where did it say that the hospital said that wasn't the case. But, do I believe a dog of any breed did it? h*** no!! I dont even think its possible, unless the human was fully cooperative, and even when you hear sick stories of humand having sex with dogs, its usually with a woman and not in the anus. ( Do I need to elaborate?)

So my 2 cents worth on this issue are.... leave the dog alone, do NOT return it to these people, get that child out of that home immediately and find out who did rape the child!

Comment by Brenda | Jun 12, 2011 at 05:13 PM EST

Just a note, they're not saying that pit bulls are aggressive when reaching sexual maturity, THEY ARE SAYING THAT ALL DOGS CAN BE AGGRESSIVE WHEN REACHING SEXUAL MATURITY. Which is true.

Comment by Beth | Apr 24, 2011 at 05:10 PM EST

Dogs dont rape kids. my dogs show no signs of wanting to have sex with my son, and no other dog ive seen.

Comment by gabe smith | Apr 11, 2010 at 07:08 PM EST

Child services should take that baby away from the mom.....Who leaves their child unattended, naked...with a dog that hasn't been nudered, and is in heat.......now think about how babies are crawling around on all fours......Dogs hump everything, dogs hump stuffed animals....It's not the dog's fault, its the mom's fault it is child neglect.

This probably isn't the only case of a dog raping a child, except this IS the only one where the baby didn't have a diaper....

Comment by Responsible Parent | Jan 2, 2010 at 12:08 PM EST

Male dogs don't go into heat. Only the females do.

Comment by Noyb_Silent | Feb 27, 2010 at 06:37 PM EST

Male dogs do not go into heat & it's usually smaller dogs that have issues with humping people, not pit bulls. A dog humping a leg is a dominance issue, not sexual & I would like to think that a dog would be able to tell a child from a female dog in heat!!

Comment by Firedancer87 | Jul 30, 2010 at 11:38 AM EST

Humping is about both dominance and sexuality. As with human rape (male and female), forced intercourse is more about power than sex, but involves both.

Dogs don't just try to hump, they are trying to have intercourse. There is in theory no reason why a young dog would not try to have actual intercourse with a human, if presented with the opportunity - as it allegedly was here.

If the dog was neutered it should have been less sexually active, and a male dog certainly wouldn't be in heat! This story has always seemed to me to be implausable. Has anyone heard whether the mother was charged with sexual abuse of her son?

Comment by JohnC | Jan 22, 2011 at 03:48 PM EST

Ok something is very wrong. The child needs to be taken away from his mother now! Maybe she sodomized him with some sort of object but instead of her getting in trouble she claimed a dog, especially a Pit Bull,, raped her son. That woman is a pedophile and her son in in danger.

Comment by LycanPrincess | Feb 19, 2011 at 07:06 PM EST

So umm, what happened with this case?????

Comment by What | Dec 29, 2009 at 03:35 PM EST

Get it straight : Dolphins rape people.

People rape animals

Comment by Sonny | Nov 21, 2010 at 06:52 PM EST

if your a human then theres about a 40 to 50 percent chance a dog has humped you before, dogs hump legs daily, so what makes it so hard to believe that a vulnerable baby could not be raped by a dog, i mean its very weird and rare but weird stuff happens everyday, and if there was secrets being held why would the mom even mention the boy getting raped in the first place? i gotta vouch for the mom

Comment by Justin | Dec 6, 2009 at 12:25 AM EST

hi this is a very disturbing story i dont doubt that dog raped that boy, the reason why i agree is because when my cousin was a baby and was crawling on the floor my dog ran to him like if he was a bitch,we freaked out sure the baby was wearing a diaber, but it was still freaky, im asumming in the ladys case the boy was crawling naked. she should have been watching the boy dogs are dogs i dont think they can tell the difference specially when the boy is crawling however i believe the doctors who check the boy have the true answer and they can determine by examining the boy. however no matter what a child should never be left unattended for any reason specially that age i feel for the boy severely, on a personall matter if that were my boy i would have already decapitated that dog with my bare hands, but there is laws that protect animals as well as humans therefore is best to leave it in the hands of god, he that knows the thruth and sees it all. will give all of us what we deserve according to our actions, including animals

Comment by grace | Dec 4, 2009 at 07:18 PM EST

(Note from Editor: This post was found blank. Jessica will have to re-post her comment. )

Comment by jessica | Dec 4, 2009 at 06:58 PM EST

I Dont belive the dog did this act, but it can happen. Dont doubt it!! ANIMALS ARE ANIMALS

Comment by abby | Dec 3, 2009 at 08:44 PM EST

This is probably the most asinine thing that I've ever heard of, i'm not saying that this is impossible, the minute I do I will be proven wrong, so my question is this where was the mother when this was allegedly taking place. I've been around pitts my entire life and I dont care what anyone says if you treat any animal with kindness and love it will return in kind. I have had several pitts and have yet to have one turn, I even gave one to my three year old nephew who will eat candy, etc around that dog it it does him no harm. I believe in you get what you recieve. Before putting this dog down someone should take a VERY close look at the mother and anyone else involved, is she covering up another crime, I just dont see how this happened without the child being held down and someone provoking it.

Comment by Joan White | Sep 17, 2009 at 04:37 PM EST

I can say if the boy was on the floor it would not have been hard for a dog to weigh him down. I do agree there is something wrong. Maybe what that was teaching the dog. But from what I remember of the incident there were witnesses that say the dog attached to the dog and the boy had to have reconstructive surgery. Of course it is a shame this happened but the child will suffer the most and I am sure the dog was not attacking the boy, it was just doing what dogs do..hump.

Comment by Annie | Jan 23, 2010 at 06:07 PM EST

I completely agree with you. But there are actually some morons here that propose a dog cannot tell the difference between a baby & a bitch in heat! Seriously, a dog's sense of smell is Several times more potent than ours & if a dog can sniff out an ovulating bitch from miles away, don't you think it would be able to tell the difference. I do not discount the fact that dogs will hump just about anything (even female dogs) but is is a show of dominance, not sexual in nature. I hate to be so blunt, but I hardly think that this dog or any for that matter, can be sexually attracted enough for the dog to get it up, much less in. Anyone who has bred dogs knows how difficult that very feat can be in it's self!

Comment by firedancer87 | Jul 30, 2010 at 11:49 AM EST
When my baby daughter who is now 21 was about 7 years old I was doing lawn care and had my my two little girls with me..I was string trimming as my kids played....The oldest about daughter was about 10 at the time...I heard her calling out to me in an excited voice and felt danger was near.. I came running with the string trimmer in my hand. When I rounded the corner of the house I saw the people big Boxer Dog continually knocking the 7 year old down from behind, She would get up and he would knock her down again... As she fell onto her hands with both feet on the ground she bent naturally which was the perfect doggy position.. That dog was trying to penetrate through her Jeans while the older child was yelling afraid of the dog... The Dog growled at me telling me to get back but that was my baby and I would die for her..Immediately I gassed the Motor on my string trimmer and put the swirling sting of the weed trimmer right on the dogs butt and hit his testicles...He dropped down and raw to the far corner of the lawn..My daughter was wearing Jeans and fully dressed or that dog would have penetrated her..There was a spot on her jeans right at her anus...How these animals know stuff like that is amazing but I saw this and I know it happens.. I put my daughters inside the cab of my truck until I finished the job.. I believe that behavior just came natural. for that dog.. IF I had not been there to stop it I can assure you the dog would have torn her clothes off and raped her..He had become very aggressive and adamant and it took a lot to get him off her....It may be the dog started playing but when he jumped on her and she fell on all fours then his natural instincts took over.. I fully believe this woman's story because it almost happened to my little girl..Some mothers will allow a baby to stay nude while they run bath water. This dog DID what the lady said. I am sure of it in my heart.....
Comment by chiefredelk | Jan 8, 2012 at 08:43 PM EST

Bear was signed over by the family on 9/3/2009 according to the Buffalo news.

He will be released for adoption! FINALLY!!!

Comment by PitBullLover | Sep 5, 2009 at 07:24 AM EST

I hope this dog gets a good home I just cant see something like this happening? Are you as curious as I am to know what the hell the mother was doing when this was allegedly taking place? I love my Harley Girl (blue nosed pitt)

Comment by Joan White | Sep 17, 2009 at 04:39 PM EST

The mother (according to the buffalo news) is under investigation, I do not believe "Bear"could have done this. If I could adopt him myself, I would, because after all the hell he's been through, he deseveres the good life. I'd like to know where the mother was too. I love both my pit bulls (a blue-brindle and a blue)

Comment by PitBullLover | Sep 19, 2009 at 10:48 AM EST

What about the child? I am sorry but I see so many comments about the dog and how it is such a shame he may be put to sleep. I do not see half as many comments showing sympathy for the 2 year old that has gone through multiple reconstructive surgeries. It is not that unbelievable a dog humped...they will hump anything. Rape is a strong description for what happened. I am sure if the dog did it, there was no malice intended.

Comment by Annie | Jan 23, 2010 at 06:12 PM EST
 1  2  3   >   >>

RESOURCES FOR EDUCATORS

Checkout iMediaEthics Resources for Educators, a helpful section for colleges, institutions, students and teachers.
Ethics Codes Case Studies Sites We Like
Ethics Codes Case Studies Sites We Like

DAVID MOORE ON POLLS [See All]
9 in 10 Americans can be classified as Racist against Either Blacks or Whites?  What the AP Poll on Racial Attitudes really tells Us, Part 2.
PollSkeptic Report:   9 in 10 Americans can be classified as Racist...
What the AP Poll on Racial Attitudes Really Tells Us, Part 1
PollSkeptic Report:   What the AP Poll on Racial Attitudes Really Tells...
David Moore