Francois Bugingo, the journalist in Canada accused of widespread fabrication including that of his war reporting, quit 98.5 FM Radio today, the station just told iMediaethics by e-mail.
“The management of 98.5 announced that it has accepted the resignation today” of Bugingo, the statement from 98.5 FM said. “Mr. Bugingo has his journalistic integrity has been called into question by a series of articles published by the daily La Presse,” the statement read. “The collaborations with Mr. Bugingo were suspended last Saturday.”
Vice President of Programming and Information Network for 98.5 FM’s parent company Michel Lorrain is quoted as saying “The integrity and rigor of our content is at the heart of our fundamental concerns and in the current context, it became impossible to continue working with Francois Bugingo.”
98.5 FM suspended Bugingo over the weekend after news outlet La Presse reported that he made up stories.
La Presse said that Bugingo was never in Libya, when he said he witnessed an execution. “Nor has he toasted with Serbian snipers in Sarajevo in 1993. He has not negotiated the release of a journalist hostage to terrorists of Al Qaeda in Mauritania in September 2011,” La Presse went on. “He was not a representative of the European Commission to the Egyptian Minister of the Interior in Cairo in February 2011. He was not in Mogadishu, Somalia, on 4 August 2011.”
Bugingo has stood by his reporting as “always verified,” as iMediaEthics wrote, and said he was surprised by the allegations.
Three other Canadian outlets – Le Journal de Montreal, Le Journal de Quebec and TVA Nouvelles announced they ended their relationships with Bugingo on Monday, as iMediaEthics previously reported.
iMediaEthics is writing to Bugingo for comment.
UPDATED: 6/7/2015 9:33 PM EST With more information