Mitt Romney’s campaign has again challenged the Washington Post’s reporting on Romney, and the Post has again stood by its reporting.
His campaign wanted the Post to retract its June 21 story “Romney’s Bain Capital invested in companies that moved jobs overseas,” POLITICO reported.
As we wrote earlier this week, the Washington Post’s ombudsman Patrick Pexton rejected many complaints by the Romney campaign about the newspaper’s June 8 story on Romney. Despite the campaign’s press secretary Andrea Saul’s claim that the “article was riddled with errors and sloppy reporting,” Pexton defended the reporting as “sound.”
In this more recent case, Romney’s campaign claimed the report’s claims are “either incomplete or inaccurate,” or “misinterpreted.” Saul is quoted as saying the report “is fundamentally flawed.” POLITICO published here the campaign’s criticism of the article, including the challenge that despite the Post’s reporting “none of these 6 companies sent jobs overseas under Bain Capital during Mitt Romney’s tenure, in fact they added jobs.”
The New York Times noted that the Obama campaign has “seized on the article as further evidence of their critique of Mr. Romney’s business experience.”
The Washington Post’s Jennifer Rubin published “the first two pages” of a document from the campaign to the Post that details alleged issues with the reporting that the Romney campaign argued “None of the reporting in the Washington Post piece is factually accurate, and the piece should be retracted,” according to The New York Times.
The campaign met with the Washington Post June 27, but the Post stood by its reporting.
According to a follow-up POLITICO report, Romney’s press secretary Saul said the June 27 meeting was “an off-the-record private meeting ” and the Washington Post’s spokesperson Kris Coratti said “We are very confident in our reporting.”
After the meeting, Post ombudsman Pexton weighed in on the controversy over the June 21 article.
UPDATE: 7/9/2012: 2:38 PM EST: Added more info.