The UK Times unpublished an “inappropriate” article about Nick Cave that had been published days after his son’s tragic death.
A Times spokesperson told iMediaEthics:
One of the Australian singer-songwriter Cave’s twin 15-year-old sons died last week after he fell off a cliff.
The Times article, published in print July 17, was titled, “Let your children feel fear, Cave urged before son’s death,” according to the Guardian.
The article reported:
“Nick Cave spoke poignantly about his anxiety at seeing children face up to danger shortly before his teenage son fell from a cliff to his death.
“The singer-songwriter said that as a father the experience of seeing a child encounter fear was one of the most moving things an adult could watch.”
The article was based on an interview Cave did with the magazine Kill Your Darlings. The Times described Cave as “the Prince of Darknes because of his obsession with death and violence.”
According to UK site The Drum, “The piece was widely criticised on social media for failing to take into account Cave’s mourning – linking out-of-context comments to his son Arthur’s fall.”
UPDATE: 7/20/2015 12:54 PM EST Added response from Guardian to iMediaEthics.