Days after MSNBC suspended veteran journalist Mark Halperin, the network announced he has now officially been fired. An MSNBC spokesperson told iMediaEthics it “confirms that Mark Halperin’s contract has been terminated.”
NBC News also ended its relationship with Halperin and in its own news story reported Halperin “would not be returning to the company.”
Last week, five women told CNN that Halperin sexually harassed them during the 1990s to mid-2000s. MSNBC responded by saying Halperin was “leaving his role as a contributor until the questions around his past conduct are fully understood.”
Since then, the number of accusers has more than doubled to “at least one dozen,” according to CNN. On Oct. 27, Halperin issued a lenghy statement on Twitter apologizing “to the women I mistreated” and admitting he was “part of the problem” and his “behavior was wrong.”
“Many of the accounts conveyed by journalists working on stories about me or that I have read after publication have not been particularly detailed (and many were anonymous) making it difficult for me to address certain specifics,” he wrote. “But make no mistake: I fully acknowledge and apologize for conduct that was often aggressive and crude.” That said, he alleged “some of the allegations that have been made against me are not true.”
Halperin claimed none of these women complained to human resources or to him, but that he started going to “weekly counseling sessions” and that has changed his behavior.
In addition to losing his MSNBC job, HBO and Showtime cut ties with Haleprin and Penguin Press axed his book contract, the BBC noted.
Please read my statement below. pic.twitter.com/8ld8k8DC6O
— Mark Halperin (@MarkHalperin) October 27, 2017