Three CNN employees have left the news network after it retracted a story linking Pres. Donald Trump adviser Anthony Scaramucci to a Russian fund. Late last week, CNN retracted the anonymously-sourced story that claimed Scaramucci was being investigated over his connection to the Russian Direct Investment Fund, as iMediaEthics reported.
Reporter Thomas Frank, editor Eric Lichtblau and “CNN Investigates” executive editor Lex Haris resigned, according to the Washington Post, whose anonymous source said “there were editorial checks and balances within the organization that weren’t met” with respect to the Scaramucci story.
iMediaEthics has contacted Frank, Lichtblau and Haris via e-mail or Twitter to ask about the decision to resign. CNN told iMediaEthics by e-mail, “In the aftermath of the retraction of a story published on CNN.com, CNN has accepted the resignations of the employees involved in the story’s publication.”
Politico reported that its anonymous source said Scaramucci complained to CNN’s Frank and Washington Bureau Chief Sam Fiest seeking a retraction and threatening a potential lawsuit.
Meanwhile, BuzzFeed reported June 25 that CNN Money executive editor Rich Barbieri sent a memo June 24 telling staff:
“No one should publish any content involving Russia without coming to me and Jason first. This applies to social, video, editorial and MoneyStream. No exceptions. I will lay out a workflow on Monday. Thanks.”